January 3, 2012

How Far Should You Express Your Honest Opinions & Feelings On Social Networking Sites?


I love being mr. nice guy...
But last night I felt so liberated to tweet my thoughts and opinions on the reality shows I watch based on some of my favorite celebrities. I always felt it wasn't my place to state my reactions or comment on some of the situations that I saw on the two VH1 reality tv shows Love & Hip Hop and T.I. and Tiny the Family Hustle. I was always taught if you don't have nothing nice to say then don't say it at all. I was afraid if I tweeted or updated a status on Facebook, would it offend some of my friends, followers or even celebrity friends and those celebs who follow me on Twitter. I didn't want to be in that situation of being uncomfortable; but I can say last night I felt liberated and somewhat openly spoke honest about my opinions and reactions I saw on last nights shows.

My question is however, how far should one express their honest opinions and feelings on a Social Networking site? Don't get me wrong, I do state my opinions and feelings all the time, but it's when i'm around a small group of people or better yet I state it outside of the social networking sites. Honesty is the best policy and people will respect you for your honest thoughts right? That's what I was told last year by a new friend of mine. We had that talk about being honest to an extent; but i'm always the nice guy, I hate to disappoint others. I don't call it like I see as others do, but do know I see and think the same things. I like waiting to see if people will post what I was thinking and then i'll get comfort out of that. It's a weird to me, but I feel like someone else should be my spokesperson on a social networking site.

Being honest on a social networking site should be done RESPECTFULLY, but what if it's a statement that may upset someone and they need to know about themselves or their actions on a show or better yet a name that might bother some, how do you go about that? I think the best way to being RESPECTFUL is by being honest. Of course, one shouldn't become a Cyber Bully, no that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about a conversation between you and the world about a certain someone or situation and how far will you let your honest opinions go. I admit last night I felt like a little bully, but I wasn't bashing the celebrity or person but I was stating my honest opinion. Is that wrong?! Was I a DISRESPECTFUL person due to what I tweeted? 

There are a lot of things I wish I can say on social networking sites, but I keep them to myself or discuss them with close friends. As I stated above, I don't like to be the one to make someone upset or hurt their feelings. Especially, when I have celebrity friends on Facebook and some celebrities who follow me on Twitter who are friends of these celebrities I talk about or even know. I just don't want the wrong perception of me to come across them. Even with regular people on social networking sites, I try to be as honest as I can be but i'm just not a full forward person. I think this is one of my weak points in my life, not being able to fully honestly express myself. I want people to see, I am human and I do have feelings about certain people, celebrities and shows. I want to connect with people more. It's tricky though, this is why I ask...

How Far Should You Express Your Honest Opinions & Feelings On Social Networking Sites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment