May 29, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Overnight Blueberry French Toast


For those who didn't know I am a sweets foody (a person obsessed with food). I could practically eat anything sweet in the morning. I know it's bad, but there's this infatuation I have with sugar. Please don't let me be the only one, can I get an AMEN?!


I was scrimmaging around online looking for something tasty to post when I came across actress and party planner extraordinaire Tori Spelling's cute little mother's day treat. The dish Overnight Blueberry French Toast looks absolutely delish!!! I'm no fan of french toast, but the way Tori did the works on it sure made me want to try it. I don't know about you, but by looking at the picture I'm drooling for it now. Of course I had to share this with you all! 




Ingredients
  • 12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Directions
  1. Lightly grease a 9x13” baking dish. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. This allows the bread to full absorb the mixture and for the flavors to really develop and mix.
  3. Remove the bread mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat the oven to 350
  4. Bake covered for about 30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
  5. In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast
Tori’s Tip: A great trick to avoiding purple-dyed treats when baking with blueberries is to lightly coat the berries in a little bit of flour before adding them into the recipe. 
Thanks To Tori Spelling for sharing her love of the kitchen recipes with us! Tori is my go to for delicious desserts and cakes! If you like this recipe then you'd want to check out more recipes she has shared on her website which has a bit of everything for everybody. Head over to ediTORIal by Tori Spelling; or to check out the rest of Tori's recipes you can click here

No comments:

Post a Comment