December 8, 2011

Steel Magnolias "An All Black Cast?!"


I'm a little late with this story, but I don't know if you know supposedly they are supposed to come back out with a remake to the 1989 dramedy Steel Magnolias. The movie starred Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Daryl Hannah, Shirley MacLain and Olympia Dukakis. If you haven't seen the movie, it's a definite must see. Just to sum it up, the movie plays around a local beauty shop in Louisiana with a close friendship hood of 6 ladies; you will see emotions play out dealing around breakups, death, love, courage and happiness. I won't tell you which characters go through a lot but I will tell you Sally Field and Julia Roberts play an outstanding dynamic mother daughter duo.

Coming back to the future, I read on Perez Hilton, Hollywood plans on coming back out with the movie but only using an all black female cast. Now, first and foremost why are they even thinking about re-making such a classic? That I don't know. I may be African-American, but I damn sure know they can't just put an all black cast to re-make the movie, it just wouldn't seem right. Why does it have to be an all black cast though? Why couldn't it just be blended with whites and blacks? This is so absurb and I truly think if this was to actually get the greenlight, the movie will flop!!! Not being racist here, you can't re-make a classic and expect it to do as phenomonal as the original; especially nowadays.

Have You Ever Seen The Movie? What's Your Take On This Situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment