September 9, 2011

Remember 9/11 - The 10yr. Anniversary


As the 10yr. Anniversary of 9/11 approaches this Sunday, I would like to take the time out to reminisce about the tragic and terrifying event that left the whole world in complete shock. As you all know on September 11, 2001the United States was under attacked by Al Queda terrorists. Two US airplanes crashed into the World Trade Center also known as the Twin Towers in New York City, one US airplane struck DC's Pentagon building and one crashing in Pennsylvania; all hijacked by 19 Al Queda terrorists. About 3,000 people died and 6,000 were severely injured. Leaving millions in the United States to question their security.
As I remember what happened on that day, I had to be about 12 years old in the 7th grade. I was in school that Tuesday, but I had came in late that day. My cousin and I stayed in just a little bit to watch the movie Glitter starring Mariah Carey. It was funny because we didn't watch the whole movie though, but we were the only ones walking to school by ourselves, just strolling in late. I was in my longest most boring English class with my teacher Mrs. Faciponte. Someone came into her room and was telling her that one tower was struck by an airplane. The class at the time was writing a paper so we really didn't pay any attention until my teacher stopped us and asked if we had any family members that worked in the World Trade Center or had any family member that worked in New York City. I didn't say anything, but my mother works in New York City but not at the World Trade Center. My teacher then told us what had just happened and as we looked out the window we could see a big heavy dark cloud of smoke in the air. It's amazing how thick the smoke was that we were able to see it all the way in New Jersey.

Then the second tower was hit. I remember an announcement on the intercom advising parents were here to pick up their kids but school will still go on. Everyone's parents came and got them and I was still in school. I thought well where is my mother or my step father and if my little brother was okay. I mean I really didn't know what was going on, I just thought the terrorist were bombing all of New York and New Jersey. I wanted to get out of New Jersey as soon as possible. Then I received notification my step father was here to pick me up, I mean after all it was a lunch time for Christs sake, what took him so long? I then asked if my mother was alright and he said he had spoke to her and she was safe but she could see the smoke and debris from where she was at. I got home and all I could do was turn on the news. That was the day I became petrified of watching the news in my whole 12 years of living. The visuals and horrific sad footage they showed wasn't something a 12 year old should be watching. I didn't know what to do, how to react, why was this happening. I felt as if we were all going to die that day. If we were all going to die, I didn't want to die without my mother being with me.

I spoke to my mother on the phone shortly after I got home and she sounded very upset and shocked. My mother notified me that there was no transportation that was going to be running from the city to anywhere else. During that time the traffic was unbelievable and disgusting. My stepfather was on his way to pickup my mother from the George Washington Bridge. I couldn't eat, sleep or think about anything else except to think  if this was the end of the world. My mother and step father both came home very late but safe thank GOD. We all watched the news together and I remember not going to sleep or scared to sleep because I didn't know what was going to happen next. I was never into the government, police security or firearms and stuff. I just watched movies, I thought the world was going to end, I thought we were in some sort of warfare. Thank God no one in my family was hurt. 9/11 changed my views on being safe and secure ever since.

This is the first time i'm sharing my 9/11 experience with you all and it's scary going back to that day. I don't know a lot of people who had family that were killed in the attacks or got very sick by the debris but as I got to college I started to know some people who lost loved ones. My heart goes out to them and I just can't imagine losing someone so special. 9/11 will always be in our hearts, mine as well. I have now came to a thought where I believe EVERYONE HAS A STORY IN LIFE NOW, IF IT DID NOT BEGIN AT BIRTH OR YOUR ADOLESCENT YEARS THEN IT BEGAN ON 9/11.

This Sunday, I would love to head out to New York City and pay my respects to those who have lost their lives to those malicious attacks 10 years ago. It's still deeply sad and hard to let go. I ask you now, what do YOU remember about 9/11?

No comments:

Post a Comment