January 14, 2013

Challenging & Controlling Acid Reflux

Photo Courtesy of Medicine Net
I don't know if you all know, but I suffer from Acid RefluxGastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a condition in which the stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach). This action can irritate the esophagus, causing heartburn and other symptoms. Acid Reflux is no joke, over the weekend it triggered me after eating one too many slices of pizza late in the night. 

This is how you can trigger acid reflux; eating late at night, poor diet and exercise, lying down after eating, not enough proper sleep as well as accumulating too many carbonated drinks. I started to get heartburn and indigestion and I thought it stemmed from one night of eating very late at night. I thought that was the case but my pains start to frequently occur as heart and chest burns, then I began to feel sharp pains in my stomach. The pain I was feeling were like thunderbolts shooting from my stomach up towards my chest; a feeling not so pleasant. Then I began to cake medical measurements in to stopping my acid reflux so I did and I haven't had any pains up until now. 

It's tough having acid reflux, because it can damage your internal organs drastically. For those who struggle with acid reflux like I do, I'm going to share with you tips and habits I do to slow down the acid reflux from occurring, I mean you can't get rid of it unless you take surgery measures, but you can control it and help push it out your system without surgery by doing the following: 
  1. Drink Lots of Tea & Water (NO SUGAR ADDED)
  2. Exercise Everyday (This will help close the gap in your stomach, from the acid to shoot up back into your esophagus)
  3. Eat Small Portions of Every Meal
  4. Try To Limit Your Fast Food Cravings To About Once Every Three-Months
  5. Brush Your Teeth After A Big Meal (Including Your Tongue)
  6. After Eating, Don't Just Throw Your Plate In The Sink & Lie Down (Keep Busy By Washing The Dishes So your Food Can Digest Properly)
  7. Most Importantly Eat Lots Of Vegetables (GREEN)
  8. Snacks Such As (Fruits, Nuts, Granola, & Yogurt)
  9. Whole Wheat Bread (It Absorbs The Acid As Well As Gives You Nutrients & Energy You Need)
  10. Very Important, Get The Proper Balanced Sleep (Too Much Sleep Can Result In You Lying Down For Hours, Having The Acid Sit & Creep Its Way Back Up To Your Esophagus & No Sleep At All Will Make You More Hungry & Crave Things You Shouldn't Eat)
  11. Cleanse Your Body!!!
  12. Overall Keep Active & Eat Right! 
I Hope These Tips That I Shared Will Help You Be In Control Of Your Acid Reflux!!! If You Have Other Tips That You Do, Please Share With Me!  

Definition of Gastroesophageal Reflux Provided By PubMed Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment